Friday, July 1, 2011

First Post!

Wow.  It is hard to believe that all the Young Adult Volunteers leave for orientation in Stony Point, NY, in just 52 days.  Along with 7 other volunteers, I'll be serving through the PC (U.S.A.) in Belfast from 29 August 2011 until the summer of 2012.  Each of us has received a church placement and a community center placement from our site coordinator Doug Baker.  I am so excited to get to know and serve with the other volunteers and Doug.   

Specifically, I will be serving with the Glengormley Presbyterian Church (www.glengormleypresbyterianchurch.org) working with youth from the congregation and the community in a mixed area of North Belfast and assisting with a parents and pre-school group, art club, and other programs.  In terms of my community center placement, I will be working with The Vine Community and Advice Centre,  which is located in a low-income area in North Belfast.  The Vine provides a comprehensive range of community services to all age groups including after school tutoring, youth clubs, women’s groups, a senior citizen’s lunch club, an advice center for those needing help filling in forms, and JAFFA (Jesus A Friend For All) a Christian education outreach for children (www.vinecentre.org).  So, I'm eager to learn from and serve with the people of North Belfast.

On a more personal note, in preparation for the year in Belfast, I have become a recovering vegetarian.  I started slowly with turkey and bacon (Surprise, right?  Apparently, bacon is a gateway meat...meaning that vegetarians are lured back to the meat-eating world by its salty goodness), and I've worked up to chicken and other kinds of pork.  I have yet to tackle lamb and beef, but I'm sure that will happen soon (maybe even over the upcoming holiday weekend?!?!).  We shall see!  More soon.

Peace be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment